For running the CMS no special actions are required, but backing up data is worth a closer look:
Backing up the Management System is essential. Otherwise you could lose all changes, editors make to the system. We recommend backing up databases at least daily. The Live System's database in default configuration is less critical, because the contents can be re-published from Management System. But if you have Live System users or other extensions, developed by yourself, it is crucial to backup the Live System's database as well.
AxCMS.net documents are not only registered in the AxCMS.net database, but also stored in the "upload" folder. This folder needs to be backed up regularly.
Backing up the Live System's /Publish folder helps you to restore the Live System after a crash.
Please don't underestimate the risks introduced by a bad or missing backup policy.
If you configured the exception management block correctly the AxCMS.net sends an e-mail to a predefined e-mail address whenever an exception occurs. Make sure that this email is sent to the right person. These e-mails contain important information about the problem. If you talk to the Axinom support you will need the complete exception information. See also Exception Management below.
Axinom continuously develops AxCMS.net and makes sure that upgrading from one version to another is as easy as possible. Nevertheless every update needs to be planned well and can impose difficulties and consume some time. When upgrading perform the following tasks:
- Make a complete backup before upgrading
- Perform the upgrade at first in your development environment, test thoroughly, and upgrade production servers only after you are sure that no problems arise.
- Perform the upgrade when the server is not under heavy load.
- Read the release notes. They tell you about changes and what tasks you must perform for upgrading.
- When upgrading don't delete physical or virtual folders manually, especially not the folders "/Upload" and "/Publish".
- For database upgrades Axinom always supplies change scripts. Keep in mind that you have to apply those scripts one after the other. For example, if you want to upgrade version 3.4 to version 3.7 you will have to run the change scripts 3.4 -> 3.5, 3.5 -> 3.6, and finally 3.6 -> 3.7. There is no cumulative script.
- If you are using additional modules, especially third-party modules, make sure that those modules are compatible with the new version before upgrading.
See also Upgrading AxCMS.net below.